This recipe can be made either vegetarian OR vegan (vegan substitutions provided at the end of the recipe) but is certain to be a hit amongst eaters of any sort. Our mushroom and nutmeat loaf served with Roza’s Tomato Chutney is savory and delicious, not to mention filling! A great way to start incorporating more meatless meals into your week, this nutmeat loaf is full of protein, iron, B12, zinc AND best of all: flavor!
Mushroom & nutmeat loaf with Roza’s Tomato Chutney
- Olive oil, to grease
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 300g cap mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 415g can nutmeat
- 3 eggs* (see below for egg replacement mixture for vegans)
- 30g (1/3 cup) dried (packaged) breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Roza’s Gourmet Sauces Tomato Chutney
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Brush a 9 x 19cm (base measurement) non-stick loaf pan with oil to lightly grease.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until just tender. Remove from heat.
- Place nutmeat and eggs (or egg replacement mixture) in the bowl of a food processor and process until well combined. Transfer to a bowl with mushroom mixture, breadcrumbs and parsley, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Press nutmeat mixture into prepared pan. Cover with foil and place in a roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to reach two-thirds of the way up the sides of the loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until set.
- Turn nutmeat loaf onto a chopping board and cut into 8 slices. Plate and serve with your favorite vegetable side. Garnish nutmeat loaf with a generous dollop of Roza’s Tomato Chutney. Serve immediately.
*To make this recipe vegan, replace the three eggs with the following:
3 eggs = 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed simmered in 9 Tbsp. water